KabbalaOnline.org "Tipping the Scales of Justice" Story #1308

 KabbalaOnline.org is a project of Ascent of Safed

ascent@ascentofsafed.com

Kabbalah Online

bs”D

From the desk of Yerachmiel Tilles< editor@ascentofsafed.com>
Story #1308 (5783-15) 9 Tevet 5783 (Jan. 2, 2023)
Discover!  the "TillesTells Saturday Night Stories” 
WhatsApp group

 

S   Story in PDF format for more convenient printing

 

TIPPING THE SCALES OF JUSTICE

The phone rang in Ben Meed’s office; Ben picked up the receiver. A restrained, sorrowful voice asked to speak to the president of WAGRO (Warsaw Ghetto Resistance Organization). “Speaking,” responded Mr. Meed.

The gentleman’s voice continued: “My father, Mr. Abraham Bachner, asked me to call you. The name won’t mean anything to you; you didn’t know him. My father just passed away. During one of my last visits to the hospital, he requested of me that when his time came you would attend his funeral.

“You see, Mr. Meed, my father attended all the annual Warsaw ghetto memorial services, the ones that your organization sponsors. It was his wish that you attend his memorial service. My father was a Holocaust survivor.” He gave Meed the place and time of the funeral.

Just as Ben Meed entered the funeral chapel, he met Rabbi Fabian Schonfeld of Young Israel of Kew Garden Hills, who addressed him, “I didn’t know you knew the deceased,”

“I didn’t,” answered Meed, and told Rabbi Schonfeld about the telephone conversation with Bachner’s son. The rabbi responded, “Ben, I am really grateful that you came. You don’t know how meaningful it is to all of us who knew Abraham.”

The casket was brought in, covered in black with a Hebrew inscription saying “He makes death to vanish in life eternal.” Rabbi Schonfeld began to officiate.

“As you know, it is prohibited, according to Halacha (law), to deliver a eulogy on a holiday and we are in the midst of Hanukah. Instead, I will share with you a conversation I had with Abraham Bachner during one of my visits to the hospital.

“‘Rabbi,’ he said to me, ‘I have been a member of your congregation for the past thirty years. I tried to be an honest, observant Jew. I attended services regularly on Shabbat and weekdays, no matter what the weather. I know that my time is up and I will soon be summoned before the heavenly court. I want to be buried not in tachrichim (white burial garment), as required by Jewish law, but rather in my concentration-camp uniform, the one I wore in Auschwitz, the one in which I was liberated.’

“I could not understand his strange request and asked for an explanation. Abe said to me, ‘You see, Rabbi, when I reach the seat of justice on high, the heavenly prosecutors probably will have a list of grievances against me upon which they will base my guilty verdict.

“‘But, when they place my transgressions on one side of the scales of the heavenly court, I will place on the other side my concentration-camp uniform. The hunger, the fear, the humiliation I suffered each minute for years while I was a katzernik (inmate) will surely tip the scales of justice in my favor. I hope, Rabbi, that you understand. I must be buried in my uniform. It is my defense case, my melitz yosher (righteous intercessor).’”

At the conclusion of the services, as the casket was being taken out of the chapel, Ben Meed walked over to Rabbi Schonfeld and asked him, “And what was your decision, Rabbi?” “The concentration-camp uniform is there with him, in the coffin,” responded Rabbi Schonfeld.

When the thirty-seventh commemoration of the uprising of the Ghetto Warsaw took place on May 3, 1981, Ben Meed told the story of about Abraham Bachner’s last request.

“In this gathering, here on earth, there was no doubt that the scales tipped in favor of Abraham Bachner when he stood before the heavenly court. For there is nothing more holy in this world than a broken Jewish heart in a concentration-camp uniform.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Source : Adapted by Yerachmiel Tilles from “Hasidic Tales of the Holocaust” by Yaffa Eliach, Based on the story Ben Meed told her on April 3, 1981, and also on a letter by Rabbi Fabian Schonfeld in “Martyrdom and Resistance,” March-April 1981, p. 8.

Connection: The Fast of the Tenth of Tevet (this year: Jan. 3), in addition to commemorating the start of the siege of Jerusalem which culminated in the destruction of the Temples on Tisha b’Av, has also become the day on which Kaddish is recited for all those whose death day is unknown.

KabbalaOnline.org is a project of Ascent of Safed

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The goal of the group's for Jewish Independency on the Har HaBait

Yahuda101 History of the Modern state of Israel

To my dear family, friends, and non-Jewish friends (Ephraim with a Jewish heart) a Shabbat Shalom.

Julius I ask